Friday, February 15, 2013

So Here's the Deal: Matthew Perry is Funny

Probably, you're wondering why I feel the need to tell you that.  Probably, you're thinking, "Hey, we saw Friends!  The whole world saw Friends!"  AT least, I hope that's how your reacting to my big news that Matthew Perry is funny.  But I fear that it's not, and here's why:
 
Matthew Perry's sitcom,  Go On, looks like it's not going to.  And maybe we could chalk that up to bad writing or a bad time slot (because, of course, immediately following The Voice isn't a good way to catch viewers or anything) or something...if there weren't the little matter of Mr. Sunshine

I'll be honest--I haven't seen Go On.  But I did see a few episodes of Mr. Sunshine, and (surprise, surprise), it was funny.  Matthew Perry was funny. The networks entered a bidding war before the show was ever written, and the sitcom opened to 10.5 million viewers. Then it was cancelled after one season.

I'll be honest. I thought then that perhaps the sitcom had been cancelled because of Perry's decision to "take some time out to focus on his sobriety" and not the other way around.  But now?  His new show is just tanking (that's what they call it when ONLY 4 million people watch your show these days).  People aren't watching it (except those 4 million). 

So that's why I started to think y'all might be confused and decided to set the record straight:  Matthew Perry is funny.  Go watch his show right away, while you have the chance.

2 comments:

  1. Go On was the #1 new comedy of the fall season and is currently NBC's #1 comedy, so unless NBC has a major shake-up I expect it will get a second season at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're right, Kate. It looks like viewership is down pretty dramatically over the past several weeks, so I'm feeling like it could go either way. But I'll be happy to be wrong!

    ReplyDelete